WordPress has taken the world by storm! At one time were totally dependent upon computer geeks and designers to come up with perfect websites for us eventually begging them to administer, maintain and update our sites. WordPress brought about ease of use and comfort where in a few clicks we had totally functional sites with the ability to maintain and update the content by ourselves. This has eased the life of million and we will be grateful to WordPress for a long long time.
There are many of us who are confused between wordpress.com and wordpress.org. If you are one of those, then read on as this article hopes to clear the confusion.
WordPress [dot] com versus WordPress [dot] org
Before WordPress evolved to become a CMS, it was a site that allowed users to have a blog with a subdomain on wordpress.com. It was just a blogging platform like tumblr.com, blogspot.com.
WordPress.org allows you to build a website, a blog or web application and also point your own domain to it.
The detail differences between wordpress.com and wordpress.org are as follows:
- com is free while wordpress.org gives you plans to build websites using your own domain.
- Content (even your own blog) on wordpress.com is the property of WordPress which you cannot publish without permission. Content on wordpress.org is your own and you do not have to take permission from WordPress to manipulate it.
- com can shut your blog without specifying the reason while wordpress.org cannot do that. You own it on wordpress.org!
- On wordpress.com you cannot add adverts or earn money using digital marketing. On wordpress.org, you can.
The following is a video which effectively explains the difference:
Which is better?
The answer to this question depends on the type of business you have with the WordPress site.
- If you are a blogger who is looking to initiate and blog of a specific genre or thought and then see how it goes, then opt for wordpress.com. If it works out well for you and you want to continue writing, earn money and do some more, shift to wordpress.org.
- If you are starting a business and you want to go full-fledged e-commerce, choose wordpress.org from start and build your website there. Another important decision factor depending on the size of your business is the plans provided by wordpress.org:
- Free – Very limited.
- Personal – $36 per year
- Premium – $99 per year
- Business – $299 per year
- VIP – starting at $5000 per month
- If you are a designer, developer, photographer, artist, writer, scientist, research enthusiast looking for work and you want to build your portfolio, then use wordpress.org to show some serious skills. People tend to give work to those who have a serious portfolio. Add a blog to share insights and experience of your profession to draw people.
Both wordpress.com and wordpress.org have made lives easier for people who have money and who do not have money to show-off their skills. If used effectively, WordPress can transform digital lives of the people using it. You just need to know what is your long term goal by using these two platforms.